To create, manage, maintain and operationeralise the National Identification Register by
- Registering all citizens of Uganda;
- Registering non-citizens of Uganda who are lawfully residents in Uganda;
- Registering births and deaths
- Assigning a unique National Identification Number to every person registered
- Issuing National Identification Cards and Aliens’ Identification Cards to all registered persons
Message from the ED
As the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA), whose principle responsibility is the establishment and maintenance of the National Identification Register, I am glad to share with you progress on Births and Deaths Registration.This is a function that has been handed over to the Authority from the Uganda Registration Services Bureau.